Monday, April 18, 2016

Synopsis And Marketing


SYNOPSIS AND MARKETING

(For my new readers:)

It is my hope that as you read this blog, reading the "behind-the-scenes" as it were, you not only enjoy the ride but maybe, just maybe become inspired to follow your own dreams.

Title:

Dream, Recurring

Logline:

Cynical by nature, a photographer discovers that she's haunted by a being after she starts having a recurring dream. Revealing a secret that only the dead know - with the entity bent on keeping it.

(Today's Post:)

Well, I'm starting to write my synopsis. While I won't be able to put it here (because it has to reveal the ending), I will post the sales copy when I have that written. This will be visible on my Amazon Author's Profile. Something else I learned is that I will create that once my book is published on there.

So why write the synopsis if you are going to self-publish?

Great question. One that I began pondering today, in fact. 

I feel that it still will be a great exercise because I have to learn how to write them anyway and I never know if someone (beyond my readers) will ask for one.

A logline is not normally seen in this industry, they usually go for the short description. The outline which is the synopsis.

I'm finding it a good process, even if I'm a little slow at it. :)

You mentioned "Marketing" in your title. Can you elaborate?

Yes. I began putting a list together of all of the places that I'm going to utilize when I reach my launch window. The idea is, I need to be able to cover: Promotion, Book Clubs and hopefully Podcasts to get the word out.

My Author's profile on Amazon will have the book's sales copy and description of the novel along with other essential items. 

Twitter, Facebook, my website and here will also be on that list of course. However, most of the actual "marketing" will be done by others.

That is what I will really need at launch - other people drumming up interest by what they do. (It's better if it's not myself. Self-promotion is kind of tacky in my opinion. :) )

By self-promotion I mean something like this:

My book is out! Come take a look on Amazon and buy it! It's an amazing read!

Sure I'm going to say "it's an amazing read" - I wrote it. I'm bound to be a "little" bias. Lol.

It's better to see something like this:

(A Paranormal Book Club wrote:)

Mark Canniff's book: Dream, Recurring is out for sale now on Amazon. He has been able to craft an excellent paranormal mystery that will have you guessing until the end.

Obviously I just wrote that to show you the difference. It also shows that they read it and actually might have written a review on the novel too.

As a reader, I'm more than likely going to check it out based on their word, not mine. 

I personally think it shows better professional quality from my end. :)

Anyway, I look forward to talking to you some more tomorrow.

I hope your day is going great!

Mark 









No comments:

Post a Comment