Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Lessons With The Revision of Book 1



Learning when to pivot.

These past few days have been exciting and busy all at the same time. The proof copy that I received came in, and I thought it was good.

It wasn't until after that Amazon informed me that some of the text was in the "danger zone," and it needed fixing.

Try as I might, I couldn't get it to work. Not without going back to my graphic designer for help. Which I didn't have the budget or time for, so I needed to make a decision.

What to do?

Well, I went back and used a new template with the front cover art, which you have seen. Now everything works well, and the book officially went live on October 18, 2019.

And I have to say it looks great. The description is formatted better than the first. So pivoting, when necessary, can give superior results than the first effort.

Am I sad that I can't use the full cover? A little bit. But what the book has gained has surpassed anything I had initially expected.

The back cover and side panel are black. It goes with the dark theme of the book. I think it makes it an excellent compromise.

Recently, I received a review from the UK that has validated the revision process:

"Short stories, paranormal or horror are not what I would usually read, but I do enjoy a good mystery, and the book didn't disappoint.
Although It's supposed to be part of a trilogy, another thing that'd usually put me off, as far as I can see it's still the only one being published. And to be honest it reads just fine as a standalone, so if you're a fan of the genre you won't have to wait for the rest of the books to be available for sale.
Lucy and Sam are a paranormal investigator duo, modern ghostbusters you may say, that go from house to house in their hometown Island River removing those spirits and supernatural entities that inhabit them.
Everyone is friendly, there.
And surely everything seems to work just fine until Lucy begins to have the same dream over and over, and will be forced to face her past once again, all the while a mysterious murder takes their investigation to a completely new level.
"Dream, Recurring" is a gripping story with a few twists and turns, perfect for the fans of the genre."

I could not have received such a fantastic review if it weren't for the journey the book and I undertook.

My takeaway is this: Do the work correctly the first time. Having said that, if you didn't know what all is involved, do your best. Keep learning. If you have to do a revision, then it could be the best thing for your story.

Mark






No comments:

Post a Comment